Emergency Rental Assistance
ApplicationPDF Download: Emergency Rental Assistance Application
St. George Housing Authority has a program available to help people who are in need of emergency rental assistance. This is a once in a lifetime grant that pays half of one month's rent or mortgage, if approved.
To be eligible for this grant, applicants must have some source of income and must be able to prove that they can maintain their rental payments once they have received assistance.
Applications are available at the office of the St. George Housing Authority or by clicking on the link above. Once completed, applicants must return all necessary paperwork to the office of the St. George Housing Authority. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
It may take 1-7 business days to process the application to determine approval.
Payments for approved applications will be made on the 5th and the 20th of each month.
Please note, we have very limited funds for this program.
More About the Program
The Emergency Shelter Grant is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME assistance program. These monies may be used to help pay 50% to 100% of a mortgage or rental payment for families who are within the income limits of the moderate to very low income populations. For applicants facing foreclosure, this grant may be used to pay up to one month's mortgage provided that our assistance will bring the mortgage holder completely current. The funds are to be used to prevent families from becoming homeless and help the homeless find safe, decent and affordable housing.
One important requirement of this program is that the family applying for assistance must be able to prove that once assisted, they can afford to maintain their rent/mortgage payments, if a family is more than one month behind in their rental or mortgage payment, these funds cannot be used.
In order for an application to be processed all of the attached forms must be filled in completely and accurately, the following information must be returned with the completed application:
- Proof of all income (3 most recent pay stubs, social security award letter, child support documentation, financial assistance (TANF, food stamps, bank statements etc.)
- Social Security cards for each household member and picture ID's for of all household members 18 years of age and older.
- A lease agreement signed by the landlord and the tenant for at least a six (6) month future period.
- Eviction notice or 3-day notice if applicable.
- Proof of utilities in your name at the unit for which you are applying for assistance. (Not needed if lease states that utilities are included in rent).
NOTE: COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF FUNDING. PROCESSING OF ELIGIBILITY AND PAYMENT TO LANDLORD MAY TAKE FROM ONE (1) TO SEVEN (7) WORKING DAYS.